Folks in the Albany, Corvallis, Eugene, and Springfield area are fortunate to have young, energetic people onboard like Chris Novara, K7TVL. Chris has been installing new radio equipment for us Hams to use for quite some time now, and since he works for an Amateur friendly company (Silke Communications), he has access to lots of good sites, and lots of cool test equipment. Of late, however, there are a couple of Hams who don't see things clearly, and are running Chris and some of his friend down for unfounded reasons. Although I do not share their opinions, nor their questionable tactics, I respect that they are entitled to have opinions.
I have been a Ham for over 20 years, and an Extra class for almost 10 years. I am not an "old timer" quite yet, but I AM experienced, and I do have considerable technical knowledge. My people skills are sometimes lacking, but I do care deeply about what Ham radio is all about, as evidenced by my numerous pleas to Hams in these areas when the State of Oregon was getting ready to pass a cell phone bill some years back. With help from many, many other Hams, we managed to get an exception into the law to prevent it from affecting Ham radio mobile operators, among others (I must mention that my friend Mike W7RIS, was very very helpful to me during this period, and helped bolster me up from my terrible stage fright when I had to testify at a Senate committee. I owe Mike for that).
Now let me say that there are no power plays, nor are any people in the Ham community trying to hoard repeater frequencies. THAT IS JUST NOT HAPPENING. Except, possibly, in the mind of misguided or angry elements, everything is above board here, folks.
Whatever you think about Ham radio, please bear in mind that the largest majority of Hams, myself, Chris K7TVL, Stacey K7SGS, and myriad other guys and gals from the Albany and Corvallis area are trying to do something positive that will help new Hams and the general community. If you don't believe that, you should come to a meeting and talk to these people, without a chip on your shoulder and with an open mind.
And check out my513.net if you are interested in taking an active role in the Ham community around Albany and Corvallis. The owner of the site, Ray is bending over backwards to help get a club organized, and has done a fine job on his website.
Anyway, I wish you well.
73 Jim Darrough KI7AY
No comments:
Post a Comment